Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12 year old dog has developed a large lump under the skin

Customer Question
on top of his head...
My 12 year old dog has developed a large lump under the skin on top of his head. The lump moves when you touch it and it doesn't seem to cause any pain when we check it, however it seems to be getting bigger. This is a large lump bigger than. 50c piece
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has it been present?If it fluidy, firm, or hard?Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is hard but moves when you touch it. I am unable to get a photo at this time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lump has been getting bigger over a 12 month period
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to hear that it is mobile even if hard. This is because that does make bone based tumors less likely. Instead, we'd have to be wary that Zack's growing hard lump may be a cyst, abscess, scar tissue (though that usually doesn't grow over time), or a muscle or skin based growth (benign or cancerous). Now with these in mind, since this has been present for a while, is getting bigger, and is at a site where there is very little skin to spare if removal is required; I have to say that case, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If the remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If clear or blood stained fluid is removed, then a cyst is likely an removal would be cosmetic. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained and the identity of the nature of the lump can be determined and whether it is something that is concerning or needs more serious treatment. Overall, if this lump is growing then we need to be proactive. It is at a site where overgrowth can lead to serious issue (skin ulceration, infection, etc). Therefore, if he is due a booster soon I would suggest moving that appointment up. That way we can have his vet sample this lump to identify its cause so that appropriate treatment can be initiated to address it Zack.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian