How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16325
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mastiff ate 40 200 mg pills of ibuprofen. I don't have

Customer Question

My bull mastiff ate 40 200 mg pills of ibuprofen. I don't have money or a bet but I made him vomit. I caught it within minutes of ingestion. What should I do now?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's 7 mo's old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup Dominique ingested forty 200mg Ibuprofen tablets.I am very pleased to hear that you induced vomiting promptly. Does it appear that you were able to get all or almost all of the tablets out? If so that is very good.You don't say how much he weighs, and that is very, very important.If he is 80 to 100 pounds he is about 36kgs to 45.45kgs, so if he ingested he ingested 8,000mgs (40 X 200 = 8000) then he ingested about 176mgs to 222mgs per kilogram of body weight (8000mg/45.45kg = 176mg/kg, 8000mg/36kg = 222mg/kg) which could cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers, blood in the stools, and acute kidney failure.If he vomited even half of the tablets I would expect to see vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite and stomach ulcers, but not kidney failure.From the ASPCA database:◾25-125mg per kg of body weight – symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, stomach ulcers;◾more than 175mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus blood in the stools, acute kidney failure;◾more than 400mg per kg of body weight – the above symptoms plus seizures, coma, disorientation;◾more than 600mg per kg of body weight – death. Given the amount he ate I am very concerned and ideally he would see a veterinarian for treatment. While I am pleased that you induced vomiting, I am still worried about true toxicity. You might see gastrointestinal upset even if he vomited a fair portion of the tablets. If that absolutely cannot happen then it might help to give activated charcoal at 1 GRAM per pound of body weight given twice 6-8 hours apart.To try and decrease acid production in his stomach and lessen possible irritation symptoms you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are acid reducers that are found over the counter at the drug store. They should be given for 2-3 weeks to help him heal.If his stomach seems at all upset to decrease the symptoms you can feed him a bland diet for the next several days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow and get in plenty of fluids. Feed small meals frequently.Things to watch for that mean trouble include vomiting, especially blood tinged, dark, black or tarry stools, or frank blood in the stools, lack of an appetite, increased water consumption and urination. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hi,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****