Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I got home today and my boxer Lucky had vomitted and had diaherria.

Customer Question

I got home today and my boxer Lucky had vomitted and had diaherria. Tonight he is not acting like himself. He is normally hyper and always wanted to go outside and play. He ia just laying around the house. What should I do? I got him for my daughter since she has PTSD and he is helping her with that.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. Vomiting in dogs can be due to many things including:1. gastroenteritis (inflammation/ irritation/ infection of gastro-intestinal tract)2. dietary indiscretion3. foreign body obstruction4. pancreatitis (infection of pancreas gland)5. organ/ endocrine abnormality6. cancer in older dogsWe typically shoot x-rays to rule out an obstruction and run bloodwork to rule out pancreatitis and organ disease.The majority of cases will be due to a non-specific gastroenteritis and conservative care at home can often relieve the signs.This is what I would do for now:1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.If that does not help, then bloodwork and x-rays may be indicated to rule out other causes and getting an exam and work up would be ideal.I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?