How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 5222
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What happens when a 12 lb. dog eats a mouse that died from

Customer Question

What happens when a 12 lb. dog eats a mouse that died from eating brodifacoum 3?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. Has your dog recently ingested this mouse? Luckily, in most cases, unless a pet is regularly eating rodents that have ingested a rodenticide, the chance of toxicosis from eating one mouse that was poisoned (this phenomenon is called "relay toxicosis") would be very low, because the amount of toxin required to kill the mouse is lower than what would affect the dog. If you would feel better playing it safe, if your dog just recently ate the rodent, you can try to induce vomiting. Did this just happen?