Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She ate a small amount of macademia mid-day yesterday

Customer Question
She ate a small amount...
She ate a small amount of macademia nuts mid-day yesterday afternoon. At about 10 PM she started having stomach pains. I gave her a tiny amount of Smooth Move tea. She slept through the night, extremely still and apparently in pain. This morning, her legs are trembling, stomach is tight; I can feel heart beating harder than usual. She's sitting by me now, and seems a little bit better. Suggestions?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: An 8 lb Mi-ki -- a maltese mix
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know if the maltese will be able to digest that. What is the maltese's name and age?
Customer: Chloe almost 5
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I have activated charcoal
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your little dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs, but thank goodness you are not seeing the signs of it. If enough nuts are eaten, the muscles become very weak, sometimes the dog can't even get up or walk. Fortunately, this usually wears off after 24 hours. The trembling legs could be related. There is no antidote or treatment, and that should wear off after it has been a day since eating the nuts. If you check her gums, are they pink in color? Will she take any food or water? If she will eat and her gums are pink, you can just wait out the symptoms; they should get better later today. If she is having pain in her internal organs, I would normally give Cerenia for that but it is by prescription from your veterinarian. If she is really painful, if her heart rate is over 200 beats per minute (put your hand on her chest and count heartbeats for 15 seconds, then multiply that number by 4 to get beats per minute), or if she won't eat at all I would consider taking her to your veterinarian. I hope she is feeling better soon. Let me know what other questions I can answer.
How is your dog today? I hope you were able to see what I wrote. Let me know if I can answer or help with anything else.
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian