Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I'm at my wits end. I have a 3 year old Shepherd that I can't

Customer Question
get to eat. She gets...
I'm at my wits end. I have a 3 year old Shepherd that I can't get to eat. She gets tired of eating things and won't touch it anymore. I have had her since 6 mos and in this time she ate dog food but tired of it and stopped. She will go days on end without eating so I tried chicken. She ate it for a while then would not touch it. It went to ground turkey or hamburg and rice. Worked for a while then like a light switch she stopped eating it. She eats lunch meat right now but after a couple of days she is already getting tired of it. She will go out in the yard and eat her own feces but won't eat food. What do I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!i am so sorry you are having such difficulties getting your Lily eat. Unfortunately the GSD is often very picky but there maybe an underlying cause of her reduced appetite such as exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (CLICK HERE) which is very common in the breed. I would advise running specific bloodwork to rule this out and if diagnosed begin appropriate therapy. My GSD has this and has been able to gain weight and improve her appetite since her diagnosis. This is a fairly specific diagnosis to the breed so testing is required to include a TLI, Folate, cobalamin blood panel to Texas A&MOther options temporarily: - Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible - Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with thisPlease let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Hi Arthur,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian