Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

How did you get into the veterinary field?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you asking this question for some type of special school project?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, actually I am. I'm a college student and I have to interview a vet, but I work full time when I haven't had the time to go into a animal hospital.
Oh okay. What class is this for? As far as your question I got into this field because I was always interested in animals when I was younger. I was also interested in science so I decided veterinary medicine was the best career for me. I got accepted into college and I had to make sure I took all the required classes for admittance into veterinary school. These included many of the science classes such as biology, chemistry, and Physics. It also included some Math classes as well. I also joined a veterinary prep club in college as well which help prepared me what to expect for veterinary school by providing tours and meeting administration at veterinary school .
Once completing my classes I had to take an entrance exam and score well prior to being accepted. I also had to go on several interviews to see If I would be best fit as a student.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow that's intense. That's a lot of school. What would you say a typical day is like as a vet? And it's for my career class. I have to write an essay on the career that I'm interested in going into, and it requires that I interview someone who currently in the field.
I apologize for some reason there was a delay in getting this response. So a typical day at the vet involves being almost like a detective depending on my previous experiences to help determine or diagnosis for illness in pets. The day can be busy and stressful or calm, but one never know in this field. Some cases turn out the way you want them to other days the don't. There are also a lot of patience involved with dealing with the pets as well. Not all of them are cooperative. Especially since we have to poke and prod at them. We typically see an average of maybe 15-20 appointment from a range of just vaccines to more serious illnesses. There are also surgery days as well.