Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has green mucuss coming from his eyes as a discharge

Customer Question
should i be concrecen...
my dog has green mucuss coming from his eyes as a discharge should i be concrecen
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had these signs?Any squinting or rubbing of his eyes?Any haze or clouding to the clear cover over his eyes?Any sneezing, coughing,or appetite loss?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in the last three weeks, he does have a clouding or hase that clover his eyes no lost of appetite counghing or sneezing with it
Thank you,If he does have clouding, then this is a real concern. The clouding/haze is what we call corneal edema and is a sign of inflammation of the eye's cover itself. To see this along with green mucus raises concerns of bacterial conjunctivitis or a possible initial eye trauma that now has a secondary bacterial infection.Therefore, in this situation, we'd really want to have him seen by your local vet so that damage can be ruled out and antibiotic drops to clear the conjunctivitis can be started. In the meantime, you can also try flushing the eyes with sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution (avoid making salt water since the salt crystals can irritate the eyes more). The eyes can be flushed to remove the discharge and help soothe the eyes 2-3 times daily until your vet can dispense drops.Overall, this is a concern especially with the haze and long term nature of the signs. Therefore, we'd want to flush the eyes at this stage but it'd be best (since eyes are so delicate) to get them checked so that treatment can be started to clear this. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian