Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a male greyhoubd who is 51/2 yrs old and 74lb. He is

Customer Question
I have a male greyhoubd...
I have a male greyhoubd who is 51/2 yrs old and 74lb. He is on synthroid 300mcg 1.5 tablets twice daily and 1/2 tab of dextab once daily. My femal greyhound is on the same dose of synthroid. I accidentally gave him my females synthroid. He has now had a double dose tonight. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello Sharon, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Sharon, I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Good news! : Synthroid (levothyroxine) has a very high margin of safety in the dog so much so that this sort of one of accidental overdose will be very unlikely to affect Travis in any way. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation. 2. Just give him his next regular dose at the correct time and take it from there. 3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Travis's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me furtherI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian