Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has blood in this mucus that she expresse when she goes poop, her stool has changed to runny. Cookie she is 15 was

Customer Question
She has blood in this...
She has blood in this mucus that she expresse when she goes poop, her stool has changed to runny.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cookie she is 15 was just checked by her vet last week and got a clean bill of health, she was also groomed last Saturday and they were supposed to express her anal gland.
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She seems fine other than this new thing which just started yesterday, she had normal stool after the first mucus and blood but has it again this morning
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
The presence of mucus and hematochezia (blood in the diarrhea) is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of colitis. It doesn't tell us the etiology of the colitis, however, which might be due to a dietary indiscretion - ingesting something new, inappropriate, spoiled, or a non-food item - infection, or perhaps secondary to a problem with an organ outside the GI tract such as pancreatitis or hepatitis. A simple colitis might remiss within 72 hours unaided. If Cookie remains well otherwise, "watchful waiting" is appropriate. If she has become inappetent, however, I would want her vet to take another look at her and perhaps perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. I don't want to "watchful wait" such an elderly dog too long. These dogs don't have the reserve of a much younger dog. For now you can see how bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto Bismol) affects her at a dose of 0.1 - 1 mL/lb of body weight every 8 hours. Some dogs don't tolerate the salicylate in that product well and so if you saw her worsen after its administration, it should be discontinued and her vet consulted sooner than later.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I marked your new post as a duplicate so you wouldn't be charged twice. Please stay in this conversation.Yes, abrupt changes in diet can wreak havoc with the gastrointestinal flora of dogs. Picking one and sticking with it may be all you need to do at this time. If you need to switch once again, it should be done gradually by mixing the new diet into the old more and more over a week's time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian