Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My small poodle symptoms like as a he had the kennel cough

Customer Question
injection 5 days ago could...
My small poodle symptoms like as a he had the kennel cough injection 5 days ago could that be some symptoms it last for about 30 seconds then stops
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Do you mean he has coughing, retching, sore throat, or snorting or sneezing?Any appetite loss or vomiting?Any changes to his breathing ?Are his gums nice and pink?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Snorting an sneezing
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Has small spurts in of struggling to breath
Thank you,If he has had a Kennel Cough vaccine in the past week, this could quite possible be our culprit. Just as when we get the flu jab, we can see mild respiratory signs as the immune system processes the bacteria (to gain long lasting immunity) and clears it. Otherwise, if we have snorting and sneezing, we'd also have to be wary of irritation to the nasopharynx (where the throat meets the back of the nasal passage). In regards ***** ***** for irritation in this region, we can see foreign bodies (ie grass,seeds, bones, etc), other opportunistic infections, and allergies. In this case, if we see any snotty nasal discharge (especially from one side, as we do with foreign bodies) or he is really struggling; then we'd want to have him seen for examination and treatment (removal of anything caught, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, etc). Otherwise, if we don't see this and it is vaccine related their signs are usually short-lived and pass within a few days.Though for all cases, we can use some supportive care to soothe his throat. To do so, plan to offer a soft food diet but also consider a mild cough suppressant. Pet safe options we often use are Glycerin/honey cough syrup (with no drugs in it) or even plain honey. Both can be very soothing and can be given at a dose of 1-2 milliliter (~1/4-1/2 teaspoon) as needed. Alternatively, we can use Robitussin DM. Of course, if you use this, we only want to use this one with Dextromethorphan +/- Guaifenesin. Avoid similar syrups with pet toxic drugs (ie Paracetamol, Acetaminophen, Pseudoephedrine, Phenylephrine or caffeine, etc). Dose-wise, you can give 1/2 (half) teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight every 8-12 hours. Otherwise to rule out allergies, we can try an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce any allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.Overall, we do have a few concerns for his signs. If he is struggling severely or you suspect something in caught; then we'd want to have him seen at this stage. Otherwise, we can start the above to try to reduce his signs and keep him comfortable. Of course, if this lingers, we can have his local vet start the aforementioned treatments to just nip this in the bud and get Billy back to normal for you.Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Janice,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Billy. How is everything going?
Customer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). This can be done by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian