Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog seems to be very anxious and unsettled past

Customer Question
My dog seems to be...
My dog seems to be very anxious and unsettled for the past few hours. Pacing back and forth he's 11 almost 12 and has never shown this behavior. Wondering if there is anything I can give him to settle him down? He is a mini dachshund 16 lbs
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm sorry for the long wait. In a dachshund, the main worry I would have is back pain. A disc herniation is a common cause of this vague pain/ anxiety presentation in this breed. An exam to look for back pain or weakness in the rear legs would be advised. At home, you can give over the counter Benadryl to help take the edge off and settle him down. The dose in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.