Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Pearl... JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong

Customer Question
Hi Pearl... JA: I'll do all...
Hi Pearl...
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: My Jack Russel terrier killed and disemboweled an anole lizard in Florida yesterday and now he's lethargic, not eating and just had bloody diarrhea
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He did drink a little water but not much...his nose is cold and wet still though
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Willie and he's 5
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Just he's not himself I guess... Oh, I gave him his Trifaxis a couple of days ago and he also ate stray cat poop which was buried in the yard a couple days ago as well...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Unlike several species of salamanders, newts, skinks, and the gila monsters, anoles aren't considered toxic to dogs. That doesn't mean that Willie couldn't suffer from gastrintestinal distress (inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea) from ingesting such an unusual "food" and there might well have been an interaction with the spinosad in the Trifexis and cat poop - both of which can cause GI distress as well. Treatment would be supportive - fluid and electrolyte replacement with subcutaneous or intravenous fluids, an antacid such as famotidine or antiemetic such as maropitant should he begin to vomit, and a "liquid bandage" for the GI tract such as sucralfate. All of these drugs are available through Willie's vet. The famotidine is available over the counter. His hematochezia - blood in the diarrhea - indicates a badly inflamed or ulcerated colon. The colon can heal itself within 24-48 hours but if hematochezia persisted, Willi's vet can prescribe an antiinflammatory antibiotic such as metronidazole or tylosin which should hasten resolution of the colitis. In most cases, the tincture of time suffices with these inappropriate ingestions.I don't change the diet of acutely affected dogs. If Willie is interested in eating, you can provide small amounts of his usual diet more frequently than usual. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian