Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog hasn't been herself a week. Less playful and

Customer Question
My dog hasn't been herself...
My dog hasn't been herself for about a week. Less playful and loving. Then this week had her yearly shots and proheart shot for the first time and was very sleepy for a day and a half. Now a little over 48 hours she's more awake than last night but still isn't very active. I don't know if I should be worried that there's something going on or I should just wait it out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is she on any medications? Which vaccines did she receive today? Does she seem warm to the touch?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's not on any meds. She got the shots on Tuesday morning. A rabies and another combo with the regular yearly stuff. And a new one -proheart. She was warm to the touch last night. Last night is when she was very lethargic. Today she isn't as lethargic but isn't interested in playing or eating her regular dog food. She does get excited for treats which she didn't really do last night. She has had a little water. No vomiting or diarrhea.
Okay thanks for the additional information. If this is the first time she had a proheart injection there is a possibility that she may have had a reaction to the injection. I would see if you can check her temperature using an ear thermometer that you can purchase at any drug store to rule out a fever. She seems like she is improving which is a good sign. So what I would recommend is if she is not eating by tomorrow morning I would recommend that you take her to the veterinarian to get her check out. Even if she is improving I would let them know of a possible reaction to proheart because they are supposed to report any possible reactions
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian