Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is breathing real hard and won't stay still or lay down.

Customer Question
acts lost...
dog is breathing real hard and won't stay still or lay down. acts lost
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he been like this?Are his gums pink or pale/white?Any pain anywhere (ie belly, back, etc)?Any access to toxins, drugs, plants, etc?Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count his breaths for 10 seconds + multiply that by 6)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 or 3 hrs gums are pink don't think any pain goes outside other than that no toxins panting so fast can't count
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
maybe 140
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
more like 200 I think. seems weak
Thank you,I have to say that if Chopper is breathing that fast for that long, we have to be very careful here. Its good that his gums are pink (a sign of adequate oxygenation) but if there is no toxicity or pain; we'd be worried that he is having to breath that fast just to keep that oxygen level up (which is a real concern if he seems weak at the same time, since it tells us that its a struggle to so and he may be fatiguing already). And at his age, the concerns for that would be a severe lung infection, asthma, bronchitis, or possible anemia (either due to blood loss, failure to make red blood cells or due to the immune system attacking his red blood cells.). We can also see this with heart issues, but usually we will have a previous history of problems. Now unfortunately, if he is breathing this fast without those other signs for it, we are in a precarious state where there isn't any reliable home treatment. Instead, this is a situation where he needs to be seen urgently. AT the very least, we'd want the local vet to put him on oxygen to ease his breathing. Once he is stable they can listen to his check, check bloods /- xray to see what is causing this and address it properly for him. And the sooner we do that, the better a chance we have to settle this for him and get him breathing easier. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or viahttp://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193 Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). This can be done by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian