Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our new puppy .. A 11 week old Mini Longhair Dachsumdwas breathing

Customer Question
out of her mouth, and...
Our new puppy .. A 11 week old Mini Longhair Dachsumdwas breathing out of her mouth, and could not get comfortable .. Took her to Vet, the ex-Ray showed very confusing results, they could not make out her organs clearly.. They did surgery today, found all organs especially the liver enlarged and her organs adhered together.. They don't know what's wrong and are sending us to a specialist .. What could possibly be wrong ??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tilly
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Can't think of anything at the moment..
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. Do you have copies of the x-rays that I could take a look at? You can post them here if you have the images. Did they take any biopsy samples in the abdomen? How is her breathing now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vet is emailing the x-Ray. No biopsy yet. Wanted us to get to specialist for that..
Blood work showed Liver enzymes normal. Pancreas not good
Ok thanks. I'm a little concerned about the x-ray reading. In a puppy that age, they have brown fat in the abdomen. This leads to poor detail in the abdomen. That is normal in any puppy. I'm confused why they decided to go in surgically. I'm also confused why they didn't take biopsy samples if things were abnormal. The presenting signs to me sound more like an upper respiratory infection. This will cause some rapid breathing, maybe some noisy breathing and a preference for breathing from the mouth. If it moves back to the lungs, we can see coughing and fever associated with pneumonia. I'd be happy to give a second opinion on the lungs and x-rays to make sure I'm not missing something else here.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll send the x-Ray when it comes in.
Basically , an ultrasound and X-ray would not show organs clearly.. Just a large cloudy mass.. They went in to make sure it wasn't obstruction.. And found all organs fused together.. If that's correct word, may be Adhered. And all enlarged, especially liver. Bladder is normal.
Adhesions can happen when there is an inflammatory condition present. I think I would have taken a liver biopsy if it was sticking to everything- just to make sure the liver itself was ok.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian