Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Took our 6 year old shih tzupoodle mix to vet yesterday due

Customer Question
to vomiting at least daily...
Took our 6 year old shih tzupoodle mix to vet yesterday due to vomiting at least daily for 3 days and changed bowel...seeming to need to go with just little pellets and later very soft. Both of these behaviors not seen before. The put her on a probiotic powderfor days and cerenia 16 mg. 4 day. When gave her cerenia she became very drowsy and almost unresponsive to name...That was within 45 minutes of taking. I panicked and took her back....so about one and half hour after cerenia...of course at vet she perked up...and was less groggy at home However she overnight starting hacking or sort of dry heaving, doing the same all day today almost every time she moved around. She never threw up though. Do we need to take her back to the vet. I called today and said the hacking was not a side effect of meds. Help...first time pet owner...had her 3 years and first time she's been sick...has a big yearly wellness check
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/7/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. I would not expect to see any of that with Cerenia. I don't typically see sedation or hacking/ coughing. I would wonder whether she has an infection and an intermittent fever that is causing those signs to come and go. In that case, I would want her on some antibiotics. I usually put my GI dogs on a course of Metronidazole. This is an antibiotic that works well for bugs in the GI tract. If the hacking seems to be more of a cough and irritation in the throat, you could try some Robitussin DM at home. The dose is 1/4 teaspoon 2-3 times daily. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian