Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a staff that is always scratching and licking her

Customer Question

Hi I have a staff that is always scratching and licking her self her belly it is red from scratching all the time. We have taken her to the vet and it has cost as an arm and leg, when I have taken her and she is still the some. She was put on dogs anti histamine and it does not seem to be helping. Is there any think you can help me with to help her. Thanks Kerrie
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Is she currently on any medications? If so, what are the names? 2- Is the scratching all over or just in her belly? 3- Did she ever have an ecollar (cone) on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not at the moment, just her belly no she hasn't had a cone on
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- How much does she weigh? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is about 15kg and no pre existing medical conditions
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, one last question. Do you still have the dog wash? If so, what is the active ingredient?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sorry have used it all I'm washing her in ego qv gentle wash soap free
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, when dealing with localized lesion that is inflamed as you are describing it is extremely important to stop the patient from licking as the licking itself will cause inflammation of the skin and turn this into a vicious cycle. I am going to make some recommendations below, if you see no improvement within 3-5 days I would consider a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet like Hill's z/d. This is what you can try: 1- Need to stop her from licking or she is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area. 2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap. 3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. 4- If no significant improvement after doing the above discuss with your vet about a food trial with a hypoallergenic diet like hill's z/d. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marlee. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter