Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Just bought 8 weeks old english bulldog puppy he si great with

Customer Question
kids lovely playful but when...
just bought 8 weeks old english bulldog puppy he si great with kids lovely playful but when pick him up and if look his face he growls tries to bite ...if not pick him towards looking face he ok
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bulldog's name?
Customer: dont know why else he ok to be picked
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: willson the name
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Customer: ok thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you. What you're describing sounds like an extreme version of normal dog behaviour. With dog to dog communication, direct eye contact is seen as a challenge for dominance. So, when you look at your puppy's face, he is seeing that as a threat - your eye contact is interpreted as threatening him. In this situation, either he is afraid of you (as to his eye this is a mean gesture) and tries to bite to defend himself, or he is feeling that he is the dominant one, and trying to bite you to put you in your place. In the short term, I would try to avoid eye contact in case this is a fear response. If he is eight weeks old then he is fairly new in the world, and I should imagine, fairly new to you. Let him settle in a bit, get used to you and his situation, and learn that you are not a threat and are someone to be trusted. To get him settled the most important thing is to set a regular routine and regular rules - for example he is either allowed on the sofa or he isn't - you can't allow him on one day then kick him off then back on again (sounds obvious but it does happen quite frequently). Another thing that can help, and is really very good with young puppies, is to get him an Adaptil collar. This is basically synthetic pheromones - the smells that nursing mothers release to let the puppies know that everything is ok. At his age it can really take the edge off while he is getting used to things. You should be able to get them online, over the counter from your vets, or at any decent pet store. One collar lasts for four weeks, and it usually takes about eight weeks (so two collars) to get the full effect. They are pretty basic to size - come in either little or large dog, and obviously for a puppy you would need a small one. Humans cannot smell it - the smell is species specific. Finally, I would slowly and gradually get him used to the fact that eye contact is ok. I would start (and this is what i did with my dog) is to look him in the eyes (from a distance - so him on the floor and you standing, not too close) just before you feed him or give him any kind of reward or treat. He will then come to associate eye contact as being a good thing. It is just one of the differences between humans and dogs that he needs to learn. I.e. learn that eye contact can be a good thing. Over time he will get used to it, then gradually get closer and closer until he is fine with you picking him up and looking him in the face. It is difficult I understand to give that time, because they are so sweet you just want to interact with them, but you do need to think 'dog' for a bit first. You can still pick him up now, just don't look him in the face. I hope the above helps - if you have any questions or need further clarification then just get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian