Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog weighta7lbs and keeps shaking and running around and trying to get up on my lap.and shes panting she had a couple of

Customer Question
she weighta7lbs and keeps shaking...
she weighta7lbs and keeps shaking and running around and trying to get up on my lap.and shes panting she had a couple of hard bowl movements.I don't what to do for her .Shes never done this before.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Dr. Barbara and will do my best to be of help to you and Mollie tonight. I'm so sorry to hear that Mollie is so upset. . .even frantic.
Has Mollie been normal today. . .eating and drinking well? I do understand that she had some hard stool, but other than this has she been urinating and defecating well?How old is Mollie?
With what you have described so far, I'm wondering if she was or is having some seizure activity. How is she by now?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she has been normal all day she did get a hold of a large pork bone. and chew some it before I got it away from .she just vomited a little but she panting and wants me to hold her.she had reagular bowl movements earlier today and also pee a lot.shes 6 years old Ijust don't know what to do for her.its almost 3:00 in the morning.
Oh, there you are! Chewing on a pork bone could cause stomach upset. Do you think she ingested any of the bone itself?
Has she been urinating excessively for awhile?
She's not a typical breed to have stomach torsion and bloat, but it could happen and this would be an emergency. Does how stomach look large and is it painful or firm?
"Does HER stomach. . ." Sorry.
Hello???????
I hate to leave you, but it seems you are no longer there. My best guess is that Mollie has gastroenteritis, possibly from eating some of the pork. . .it can have that effect in some dogs. The best for this is to withhold food and water until she hasn't vomited for about 4 hours. Offer her then a small amount of water (about a teaspoon in her case) and if she keeps that down for 1 hour, then offer her a little more, etc. Ultimately, you could offer her some boiled white rice mixed about 60/40 with cooked skinless chicken; again about 1 teaspoon and gradually increase if there is no more vomiting.
If Mollie continues to be very distressed, then you should seek emergency care there for her. I hope she is calmer now and you both can get some sleep. But again, if she won't calm down then have an emergency vet there check her tonight.Best of luck to you both,Dr. Barbara
Good morning. . .Checking in to see how Mollie is this morning? Wondering also if you have any further questions for me? I would like very much to hear how she is doing.Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Dog Veterinarian