Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pot belly pig swallowed a Motrin that was dropped on floor

Customer Question
should we induce vommiting JA: I'm...
My pot belly pig swallowed a Motrin that was dropped on floor should we induce vommiting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the pig will be able to digest that. What is the pig's name and age?
Customer: Buddy 4 months
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No that's my only question
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a vet with many years experience including treating pot bellied pigs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How much does buddies weigh { In pounds } ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
15 lbs
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. He is still quite small and this class of drug { NSAIDs } are known to be toxic in pigs so best induce vomiting just to be on the safe side. 2. Three-percent hydrogen peroxide is an effective emetic for the pig. The usual dosage is 1 teaspoon per 5 lbs of bodyweight. It should be administered undiluted, not mixed into water or food. However it is helpful to feed a small meal before inducing vomiting in pigs, as it makes emesis more productive. Bulb syringes, feeding syringes, or turkey basters aid in administration. Vomiting usually occurs within minutes and can be repeated once if not initially successful. 3. I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Buddy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how Buddy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the motrin incident ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian