Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a really big lump on the side of her face in between

Customer Question
her ear and cheek JA: I'm...
my dog has a really big lump on the side of her face in between her ear and cheek
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: the lump is pretty big i can cup my hand around it
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: my dogs name is ***** ***** shes 3 years old
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Starlina has this lump - I'll do my best to help. In general, lumps and bumps on the outside of the dog are frequently benign, meaning that they aren't a major concern in terms of cancer. Having said that, though, there are a percentage of masses on the outside of a dog that can be malignant, and there are also those that are benign but cause an issue because they are either growing very large, interfering with important structures like nerves or blood vessels, or they are continually breaking open and bleeding. An experienced vet can often get an idea of what a lump could be just by looking at it and feeling it. If I’m not exactly sure what a mass is, I’ll sometimes do what we call a fine needle aspirate, which is where we get some tissue for microscopic examination using a small needle. This can help differentiate between benign and malignant types of masses. In cases where I think that the mass is malignant or will continue to cause problems based on its location or behavior (ie: whether it’s broken open/bleeding or bothering the dog in any other way), I recommend removal of the mass. The best thing to do for Starlina would be to have her examined by your family veterinarian to determine what you are seeing and what type of treatment should be pursued. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok as of now starlina seems to be feeling warmer, more discomfort, should I shave the fur around the lump to see what the cause is, what if itit's an absesd
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
And how much are the costs for a vet? and what tests might have to be done
The cost of veterinary care varies widely based on your geography - exams typically range from $40-75. From the exam findings, your vet will be able to make a cost estimate for treatment. It's certainly reasonable to shave the area to see what's going on underneath that fur.~Dr. Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian