Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 90lb lab ate a pound of butter I accidentally left on the

Customer Question

My 90lb lab ate a pound of butter I accidentally left on the counter. Woke up to two lies of diareah and 3 piles of throw up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now Sadie's signs of GI upset are not unexpected after such an large dose of butter. In regards ***** ***** situation, as long as she doesn't have any belly pain (as pancreatitis is a concern for sensitive dogs with high doses of fat ingestion), we can try to soothe her stomach at home.Now your use of the Pepto Bismol is a good start but do be aware that a 90lb dog needs 15ml of the liquid version 2-3 times daily. Therefore, since the diarrhea tends to be self-limiting, we may need to adjust her dose or could at least use Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac) for her nausea. In regards ***** ***** diarrhea options, we could also use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Or there are kaolin/probiotic pastes like Propectalin, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) that could also slow this for her. Otherwise, for both her upper and lower GI signs, we'd want to start small meals of a light diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea to pass. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, her signs are very characteristic of butter ingestion. Therefore, supportive care as noted above +/- the Pepto Bimsol would be our focus at the moment. Of course, if we see any belly pain, profuse continued vomiting, or this doesnt' settle in 24 hours; we'd want to plan to have a check for injectable treatment to halt this +/- fluids to counter any dehydration risks for Sadie. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. :)Best wishes to you both,Dr. B.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- *Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- **I hope all is well with your wee one. If possible, I would be grateful if you can rate my recent answer to your question, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you (this is at no extra cost to what you have paid already). This can be done by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. If you have any lingering questions, please reply to me. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)