Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is***** have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel called

Customer Question
Hi. My name is***** have...
Hi. My name is***** have a Cavalier King Charles spaniel called Molly who is 5 years old. For most of the time I have had her she has suffered with itching.
We have tried all sorts of creams and treatments, and finally a friend told me that she has a flea allergy. Symptoms have been quite mild for a long time, and she has been treated for fleas every time we spot them. However, over the past six months, the irritation has spread from her mid back down to her tail, leaving her quite bald and with a very angry looking skin rash underneath. We have used flea guard, dog anti flea shampoos and sprays on the furnishing in all the rooms of the house, although there are no other signs of them in the house. I am at my wits end and am feeling very sorry for Molly who is suffering daily. It seems no matter what I do, it just gets worse. I also have two cats who are in and out all the time but show no symptoms of scratching or discomfort. They have all been treated regularly. What can I do? I have thought about going away for a couple of days and flea bombing the whole house. Is it possible that they could be breading out in my garden somewhere? Please help!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H.I understand you are suspicious of flea issues with your pet based on a friends recommendation. Skin flea allergies are quite common and do typically affect the back dorsal area just above the tail. Not every pet has an allergy to flea saliva so this could explain why your cats aren't symptomatic. However we can't ignore the possibility of other allergies such as food or environmental allergies as well. To best treat fleas you are better off using good quality flea products and you can't trust every product sold over the counter. The fact is most just don't get the job done and I have seen time and time again where clients fail with a lot of products over the counter. The only products that I can stand by efficacy wise are the following:1) Nexgard - Rx only2) Comfortis - Rx only3) Advantage multi- over the counter4) Advantix- over the counter5) Trifexis - flea and heartworm preventative Rx only6) Seresto collar- over the counter and online There are others but I definitely don't recommend flea guard as an effective flea product. To answer your other question, yes flea fogging the house is definitely preferred as fleas can reproduce every 24 hrs. Have you seen fleas on your pet? Also do you have a picture of the skin to show me? If there is a secondary bacterial infection of the skin you have to treat this as well as this can lead to continued scratching. Also a steroid + anti-histamine treatment is needed to stop the itch and for this you will need to visit your pets veterinarian for a prescription. - Dr. H
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet