Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Polyarthritis and recently torn ACL. (?) She did not do well

Customer Question
on Prednisone. (Our hopeful medication.)...
Polyarthritis and recently torn ACL. (?) She did not do well on Prednisone. (Our hopeful medication.) and recently this new development torn knee?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: She just cant mobilize anymore.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: her back r knee is torn. We saw the Vet one week ago. she is now on gabapentin and Tramodol
JA: OK. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tia
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Tia has been diagnosed with Polyarthritis. She was a very active Maltese up until August of 2015. She also had sepsis in September of 2015 and overcame it. Tia has been on many antibiotics over the last several months. Her WBC count was very high at times, but has leveled off.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/5/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Thanks for the question. This is a tough situation. A torn ACL is a surgical disease. The tough part here is the polyarthritis confounding things. I still would advise getting the knee stabilized surgically. I would go with a TPLO procedure or potentially a lateral suture. The TPLO will get the leg stable much faster and get her walking on it faster. Most dogs are toe touching within 24-48 hours of surgery. The lateral suture may take 1-2 weeks before they're toe touching. There is a good chance that the other knee will also tear. If one ACL goes, 60% of dogs will tear the other side. I'm not sure why she didn't do well on steroids. Most polyarthritis dogs will have a positive response to steroids. Most can be weaned off over 4-6 months and cure the disease. Often times the Prednisone dose makes all the difference and unwanted side effects can be managed by decreasing the dose as opposed to just giving up on the medication all together. Just something to think about. Here's a nice handout on ACL disease and the surgical options:http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1975 I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian