How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10967
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate some raisins. (Dog is a ***** ***** about 18 pounds).

Customer Question

My dog ate some raisins. (Dog is a ***** ***** about 18 pounds). I don't know how many were in the homemade oatmeal type bar. I counted another bar and there were about 12 various size raisins. I counted about 5 raisins from the part of the bar I got away from him. I induced vomiting and he threw up oatmeal and 1 raisin that I could see. He gagged and threw up about 3 times. First time is when I saw the raisin. Other 2 times not as much and no raisins. Should I do more?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. You have to be extremely careful with raisin toxicity in dogs. Only a small amount can cause serious symptoms. Acute kidney failure is the concern, and you may not see symptoms of that for up to 72 hours. For his size, you are cutting it really close to hitting that lowest toxic dose. The lowest documented case of raisin toxicity is 0.32 g/kg. For Scout's size, that is roughly 2.6 g. There are about 2-3 raisins in a gram. With the raisins being various sizes, that makes it even harder to judge. If you were to say that you saw at least 5 more raisins in the vomit, I would feel a little better. Given that he has vomited 3 times already with only 1 raisin to show for it, it does concern me. At the very least, I would get him to your nearest emergency vet to get some activated charcoal to help bind the toxins better. If you want to make sure with all accounts that he will be fine, it would a good idea to have the vet place him on fluids for a couple days. I know it seems like a lot, but raisins are very concentrated and very poisonous at small doses. If you want until he starts to show symptoms of kidney failure, it is too late. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions