Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He keeps sneezing and his nose is running all over everything.

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Frank and he's 9 years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No just want to know how to help fix this.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had these signs?What color is his nasal discharge? Is it coming from one or both nostrils?Any coughing, congestion, wheezing, or appetite loss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's had this for a little over a week now.His discharge is runny like water and is clear. It's coming from both nostrils.Not sure if he's congested but his airway seems to get slightly blocked when he's sleeping. However I think it's his due to the drainage.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see congestion and clear nasal discharge associated with a range of issues. In Frank's case, we'd be most suspicious of an allergy, viral infection, foreign bodies caught in the airway, possible fungal infection, or a growth invading both sides of the nasal passage (or in the nasopharynx).With this all in mind, we'd want to use some supportive care at this stage to see if we can ease his signs for him. To start, if he sounds blocked at times then this does suggest congestion and we'd want to start steam treating him. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer/humidifier. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make him a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room.Furthermore, to flush out the nostrils and reduce any irritation within them, you can use non-medicated saline nasal drops like (ie Little Noses, Ocean Mist,etc) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball.Finally, to rule out allergies (and since it is a mild decongestant), we can also try him on a low dose of Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). This can be give at a rate of 0.5mg per pound of his body weight twice daily. We like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if he has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet. Overall, these are our main considerations for what you are seeing with Frank. Therefore, at this stage, we can support his immune system and try to reduce these signs for him. Of course, if his signs linger despite this, then we'd want to follow up with his vet so they can rule out those other concerns and make sure we nip this in the bud for him. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )