Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 9 year old dog she has been bleeding like she's in

Customer Question
heat very happy she has...
I have a 9 year old dog she has been bleeding like she's in heat very happy she has done this before it looks like her uterus is falling she's done that before and I just pushed it up inside her again please give me advice
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear of this with Sheba. You're seeing either vaginal hyperplasia or vaginal prolapse. An edematous swelling of the vaginal mucosa occurs secondary to estrogen stimulation and it may progress to vaginal protrusion through the vulvar lips as it has done in Sheba.Our treatment goals are to prevent drying, necrosis, and devitalization of exposed vaginal tissue, prevent future recurrence, and prevent urethral obstruction. We insert a urethral catheter to relieve obstruction when present, ensure that vaginal tissue is kept clean, apply topical applications of sterile water-soluble lubrication or antibiotic ointment, apply an Elizabethan collar or protective pants to avoid self mutilation, provide a clean environment to minimize tissue trauma, and recognize that spontaneous regression at the end of estrus is common. You may also schedule an ovariohysterectomy (spay) which prevents recurrence and may hasten resolution; regression of tissue is reported to occur within 21 days post spay.Please have Sheba looked at by her vet who will determine how much of the above needs to be done and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know how long this will last I don't think I can get her to the vet anytime soon but I am definitely going to have her spayed it this is the second time this is happening
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well she died of blood loss or is it just like going through menopause
It will last as long as she's under the influence of estrogen which is quite variable - 1- 38 days! The average time would be a couple of weeks. No, unless she were badly traumatized, she's not going to lose an appreciable amount of blood. No, dogs don't go into menopause. They continue cycling forevermore. The cycles do become more irregular with age, however. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is going May 2nd to get spaded thank you very much for all your help
That's good to hear! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian