Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 2 year old 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 min pin began vomiting around

Customer Question
noon today. She has...
My 2 year old 1/2 chihuahua 1/2 min pin began vomiting around noon today. She has vomited about 4 times. She is alert & comes to me when called, but is lying around a bit more than usual. She does not appear to be dehydrated. It is now midnight. Should I wait to see how she is in the morning or do I need to find a vet open 24 hours to take her now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/4/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Chloe. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 10 - 15 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!
Hi again,Thank you for your patience. As you can imagine, there are a number of possible causes for Chloe's vomiting today including anything from an acute gastroenteritis, intestinal worms, a toxicity or poisoning (hopefully there isn't anything around the yard she could have gotten into), or even an internal organ (although this is unlikely given her age). Hopefully she is drinking well and able to keep water down, otherwise she will very quickly become dehydrated. Keep an eye on her hydration status if you can (it sounds like you know how to do this). For now you can with hold her food until the morning. From then you can start her on a bland diet. For this, cooked, boneless skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice is fine. Also make sure she is up to date with her deworming treatments and be sure to use a reliable product for this like Drontal or Milbemax. You need to encourage her water intake now if you can, and hopefully she is drinking with now issues and able to keep water down. If she can't keep water down, then you need to get her seen by your local ER vet now so they can keep her in on IV fluids and give her an antiemetic injection to stop the vomiting. If you can, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet. For now, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid All the best with your girl and hopefully she is just able to have a drink of water and rest for the evening so you can take her to your regular vet in the morning. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chloe. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian