Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog cannot stay on his paws an d walk an d now he won't

Customer Question
drink water. This all started...
My dog cannot stay on his paws an d walk an d now he won't drink water. This all started yesterday. He has not urinated/defecated since yesterday
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I apologize no one has assisted you both today and Rayos is having such a difficult time. I am not terribly concerned if he has not defecated in 24 hours as he has not eaten but the urination is concerning because 1.) He maybe terribly dehydrated, 2.) He should at least be leaking urine in a 24 hour period.Reasons I would strongly recommend a veterinary er - Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable- Swollen abdomen- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5- No interest in food for 24+ hours- No urination for 12+ hours- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour- Productive coughing- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distressYou can try a few things today but again if this is not improving or he continues to not urinate please consider a veterinary er... - White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.5 mg/ kg every 12 hours to help settle her stomach. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 1 mg/kg daily Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pet is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Good evening, I hope Rayos is doing a bit better this evening...Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian