Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a liver problem and is on meds to help. Just retested

Customer Question
My dog has a liver...
My dog has a liver problem and is on meds to help. Just retested and she seems better with her liver function. My problem is, she was lethargic and not eating (although she only skipped one meal), she was laying around and seemed in distress, panting, breathing heavily. we took her to animal ER and they diagnosed anemia (not severe), and pancreaitis? They have kept her in the hospital now, 2 nights. (it's very expensive), when we visited her, she seemed happy, active and joyful that we might take her home. She ate our chicken and rice like she was starved. They asked to "monitor" her for another night,. Is this really necessary?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and your dog. I'm sorry that she has been ill recently. I'm also sorry that you have waited a while for an answer - I have only just found this question. The symptoms you describe (lethargy, not eating, panting and in discomfort) definitely fit with pancreatitis. I actually had a patient with the exact same symptoms come in yesterday. He improved well on his meds and went home this morning. It is difficult for me to be 100% sure without examining your dog myself (which is obviously impossible), but my general guidelines for getting patients home (and I do like to get them home because they are happier and obviously you would be happier having her home) for patients with pancreatitis are:- are they wanting to eat?- are they keeping the food down?- is she rehydrated (the most simple way of testing this is feeling her gums - if they feel moist she should be ok, but there is labwork to also help with this)?- are they in pain? If she is eating, keeping it down (so not vomiting), no longer panting or showing signs of distress, and not appears dehydrated then I would be happy sending her home. I normally get patients back in for a recheck 24hrs after sending them home to make sure all is ok. If your little one matches these criteria, then personally I wouldn't be in a rush to keep her in for observation, as long as you would be happy keeping an eye on things at home, and giving me a call if you were worried. I hope the above helps - if you have any questions or need clarification then just get back to me. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Dog Veterinarian