Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. It sounds like Diamond has a poor appetite and has been lethargic for the past few days. Normal dogs don't usually suffer from hairballs, but dogs that don't feel well or feel nauseous may lick themselves or eat strange things leading them to vomit.Lack of an appetite and lethargy can be related to eating something she should not have, too many treats
or table food, eating foreign material (which could cause a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction), chronic pancreatitis
, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism), inflammatory bowel disease
, organ failure, or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma
.Because she hasn't eaten normally in several days and she is weak I am very concerned about her. Ideally she would see a veterinarian today if this has been going on for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach
upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine her, run blood tests and possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate her and know best how to treat her.In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate her.If you cannot have her seen for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.At home to try and settle her stomach you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine
) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and may help her feel less nauseous so that she will eat and drink. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary.A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken
or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.If she continues to not eat she should see her veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.