Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 year old female doberman mix (spayed) is having progressively

Customer Question

My 10 year old female doberman mix (spayed) is having progressively worse diareaha. Last night had three episodes, two more this morning. Symptoms started on friday. The diarrhea is watery, mucusy and has some blood. She is more lethargic than usual. Saturday switched her to a soft chicken and rice dog food with about a quarter tablet of immodium. Should i be concerned. Is it time to bring her to a vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Carrie's situation with her stools. I'm going to be honest here and say that a trip to the vet would be the best thing at this time. You're doing all that you can at home at this time. For me, diarrhea is also a very inconvenient thing that can potentially make huge messes around the house. These aren't fun to clean up. A trip to the vet can allow them to screen the stool and her to see what they feel is the underlying cause. Is there some protozoal or parasite issue? Is this just a form of colitis? They can then start up more specific therapy based on what they find. They can get things going that will help the stools to firm up the fastest which for me is a huge plus. My schedule is always hectic and I don't need to be wondering if my dog is needing to go out anytime soon to have some more loose, watery bloody stools when I'm trying to go do errands around town or work outside or just doing anything when I'm not right there with her.