Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My small 15 lb dog got about 1/4 teaspoon of amoxicillin....very

Customer Question
worried. That was 3...
my small 15 lb dog got about 1/4 teaspoon of amoxicillin....very worried. That was 3 hours ago...she's vomiting.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no...just got into the amoxicillin...
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: no...just that it was probably about 3 hours ago...she just got up and vomited and is unsteady on her feet.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/3/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. In regards ***** ***** question, this is a medication we use in dogs and doesn't tend to cause any more that GI upset (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss). Though if she is vomiting profusely and small, then this can drop her blood sugar and dehydrate her; making her weak and wobbly. Now if she is too nauseous to keep anything down, we'd want to have her seen urgently for injectable anti-vomiting treatment +/- fluids. Otherwise, if she can at least keep a bit down, you could try her with an oral antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or * Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Once that is on board and if she is settled for a few hours, we can then try a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Of course, while waiting to offer this, you can also rub glucose syrup (or honey, pancake syrup, or karo syrup) to give her a blood sugar boost. Overall, this isn't toxicity situation but this antibiotic is know to cause GI upset as you are seeing. Therefore, we'd want to take the above approach here to counter this for her and get her settled. Of course, if she is too nauseous to settle with the above, an injectable anti-vomiting treatment from her local vet would be another option for settling her stomach. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian