jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog just gave birth, today, to 10 puppies outside in PA.

Customer Question

My dog just gave birth, today, to 10 puppies outside in PA. We brought her & her pups inside and put them in the garage for a few hours temporarily. A few hours later, we put them all downstairs and we just checked on them and two pups are freezing cold and one is like almost gasping for breath. This has been going on for about 30-40 mins now. We wrapped them both in a heating pad and blankets. The one that was gasping for breath has a very dry mouth and I dont think she ate AT ALL today. Should I feed her? I read that feeding a chilled pup is a death sentence but I reallly think she needs to eat ASAP. Should I warm the milk up first?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 1 year ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Newborn pups need to be in an areas where the room temperature is about 90-95F the first week. Each subsequent week, the temperature can be dropped 5 degrees. Often owners will put a heat lamp over one area of the whelping pen or use a space heater to keep one room hotter than the rest of the house. A heating pad on low with a towel over it can also be used for pups, but a portion of the area they are in must not be covered by the pad so if it gets too hot they can move off the pad. Often weak pups are pushed away from mom, the teats (food) and warmth by the other pups. If there is something wrong with them that the mother can sense, she will even push them away in order to save the resources she has (milk) for the stronger pups. This pushing away leads to the pups becoming chilled which can lead to pneumonia and death. The gasping pup is often a sign that death is near. The best thing to do is get the pups as warm as possible. I've used a heating pad before but also put the pups up against my own body so they hear my heart beat and I can feel that they are still breathing. You can also take a dot of karo syrup or pancake syrup and put that on the pup's/puppies tongue to give them some energy and get their blood sugar levels up. This is often enough to get a pup strong enough to nurse from mom. If possible you want the pups to nurse off mom and not be bottle fed. For pups like these, I will be sure you get a teat that has milk and put a touch of syrup on that and put the pup on that teat. If you can't get the pup to nurse from mom, the pup will need to be fed. The milk should be warmed just like a baby's would be. You can check the temperature against your wrist the same way you would with baby formula. You do not want to squirt formula into the puppy's mouth but want the pup to suckle if possible. If the pup won't, you can dip a sterile cloth in formula and rub that against the pup's tongue. Once the pup has a little formula in him, you want to keep him warm. If possible, keep him with the other pups as long as he isn't going to get chilled again. By this time, the temperature should be high to prevent chilling. The constant movement of the pups help keep fading pups breathing and their warmth help as well. Some pups just don't make it though and you will need to be prepared for that as well. It is something that happens when you breed. It is not unusual to lose a pup even for experienced breeders. I do want to give you a site that talks about saving fading pups. http://showdogsupersite.com/kenlclub/breedvet/fading.html You have the option of taking the two failing pups to your vet where they could tube feed the pups and ensure they were well warmed which might also get them back on the right path and able to survive when put back with mom. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.