Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

My puppy got a white out pen and chewed it up. Is he in da

Customer Question

My puppy got a white out pen and chewed it up. Is he in danger?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. Did your puppy actually ingest any part of the pen, IE swallow it?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I am standing by to assist you......
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Ok, since you are not currently online I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you. Sincerely,DRB
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your puppy and the white out pen.I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me the following:How long ago did this happen?Does your puppy have a history of any other illnesses or injuries or take any medications?Did he actually consume any of this pen?I'll look forward to your reply and will respond as quickly as possible.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
While I await your reply, I'll let you know that we don't typically see problems unless a dog ingests a large amount of White Out. It contains petroleum naptha, which is a category of toxin known as a hydrocarbon. The most common symptoms are drooling and vomiting. If the symptoms are mild, no treatment is necessary. It would be very unusual for a dog to be exposed to enough White Out to cause a problem after chewing up a White Out pen.That being said, it's also possible for pieces of the the pen to cause problems, but not common. The odds are overwhelmingly likely that this won't cause any bad side effects for your puppy, but to be on the safe side, you should seek medical attention if you see any of the following:severe vomitingsevere droolingshaking, tremorssevere diarrheaseizuresloss of consciousnesstrouble breathingloss of appetite for more than 24 hours
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I hope this information is helpful to you. I want to be sure you know you can type in a reply in order to continue our conversation.Please remember I am here for you and am happy to discuss your question until you are satisfied with the answer I've provided. You may return to this page at any time to review this information and/or post more. You may do so even after you've rated my response. I'll be notified of your response via email and will do my best to help you.If you are satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response. I've done my best to provide you with the most accurate, thorough and up-to-date information that is available, and your positive feedback is important to me. Without it, I receive no compensation for helping you.If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.Thank you for using our website.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Just checking in to ask how your puppy is doing. Thank you, ***** *****