Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My dog has red spots and raised bumps all over his body

Customer Question

Hi my dog has red spots and raised bumps all over his body it happened instantly he is scratching like crazy and can't seem to get comfortable someone fed him fishsticks last night I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it . I gave him a tiny bit of benadryl but doesn't seem to help .What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!It sounds like he has been exposed to something in the last 15 minutes he is having a reaction to, possibly anaphylactic.To confirm the benadryl, he should get 1-2 mg/ pound now and again in 4 hours then repeat in 6-8 hours for 24 hours. If there is no change in 30-60 minutes of the dose I have listed then please consider a veterinary er to give injectable medications such as steroids to reduce his symptoms and get him comfortable. Do you have an idea of how much benadryl you gave? If the dose was not the one listed above then we need to redose to get an accurate dose for him...Please let me know how else I can assist you both today If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been on going all day I gave him about 5ml once at 3 and then once just now he isn't improving
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I apologize it sounded like this just beganCan you please tell me how much he weighs?
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
And on a scale of 1 to 10, ten being the most itchy where is he on the scale?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is about 5 lbs
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
The dose you have administered is accurate, I would consider a veterinary er to give injectable steroids to provide relief since the benadryl is not helping reduce his symptoms...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You can try an oatmeal based shampoo in cool water x 10 minutes to provide relief but since the benadryl is not working steroids are warranted at this time Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I hope this resolves swiftlyIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am online a few more moments if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight...
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on you and your Min Pin to see if you were able to get the itching and skin issue under control last night? I would love an update when you are able... Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!