Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog just ate poison What should I do

Customer Question
My dog just ate poison What...
My dog just ate poison
What should I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
4/2/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Hello. Rat poison most commonly is made with Brodifacoum. This is an anti-coagulant that causes bleeding 2-5 days after the ingestion. With this in mind, you have a nice window to get treatment started before problems arise. I would recommend going to a vet to induce vomiting, give activated charcoal and then put her on Vitamin K for 30 days. With this therapy, I have yet to see a dog start bleeding. If it was Bromethalin, this is a neurologic toxin. In those dogs, I make them vomit, give activated charcoal and then watch them for 6-12 hours to make sure we don't have any tremors or seizures. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian