Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog 13 yrs with diabetes cataract had UTI sensitive to nitrofuranto

Customer Question
in, cipro, oflixacin. Which drug...
My dog 13 yrs with diabetes cataract had UTI sensitive to nitrofuranto in, cipro, oflixacin. Which drug us safe. Thankd
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/1/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I would avoid ciprofloxacin if only because its bioavailability in dogs is so variable that I can't know just what dose actually makes it into the body. Ofloxacin isn't prescribed to dogs systemically. We do prescribe other fluoroquinolone antibiotics such as enrofloxacin or marbofloxacin which might be considered. NItrofurantoin is infrequently prescribed but can be valuable for susceptible UTIs. We do see adverse effects in the form of gastrointestinal disturbances, peripheral neuropathy and hepatopathy but these adverse effects are uncommon at the doses of 2 - 2.5 mg/lb every 8 hours for 7 days. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sheeru. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian