Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I just went to my son's house and found their dog had eaten

Customer Question

I just went to my son's house and found their dog had eaten so Easter candy. 2(1.5 oz) pkg of mini choc eggs. 1 mini ButterFingers and 1 mini Kit Kat. Dog is acting normal. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much does the dog weigh?

Can you give me an estimate or window of time he'd have eaten this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dog weights 45 lbs. 6 hours
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Based on his weight and the volume of chocolate he has had, this isn't a real worry. The dose is very small and we'd only expect to see GI signs (vomiting, diarrhea, appetite loss, drooling, etc) if anything at all.

Furthermore, if it has been 6 hours, we are getting a point where not seeing upset by now means we likely won't. Therefore, we'd just want to keep an eye and can use supportive care if he has any signs. In regards ***** ***** you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this was thankfully a low dose for his weight and we’d only expect to see some stomach upset if any adverse signs at all. Therefore, you can monitor and use the above at this stage to keep him settled over the next few days and minimize and stomach upset he may have from this chocolate misadventure.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything turn out fine. He was just a little thirsty.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear that he is well. :)

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.