Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10lbs dog ate 4 small cadbury milk chocolate eggs

Customer Question
My 10lbs dog ate 4...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you

Hello again,

1. Good news! I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect your dog very much, there are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on him. He should be just fine ...

2. You see while chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate ate before you would see any signs of toxicity. From the internet I see that 12 pack of these small Cadbury chocolate eggs weighs 10 ozs so he will have got 3.33 ozs, they are mostly milk chocolate but have a candy shell. { But check the details on your pack }

3. I say the above because the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate his weight as being in the region of 10 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 7 ozs { Close to half a pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. So just 3.33 ozs is not likely to have much effect on him.

4. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

5. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

6. As far as the foil wrappers go if your dog swallowed these as well then this is rarely a problem in my experience, the chances are they will just pass along your dog's intestinal tract without problem.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Cadbury's chocolate eggs ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian