Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

SHOULD i WORRY IF MY 4 YR OLD CHIHUAHA HAS MUCUS AND TINGE

Customer Question

SHOULD i WORRY IF MY 4 YR OLD CHIHUAHA HAS MUCUS AND TINGE OF BLOOD IN HER STOOLS? SHE SEEMS TO FEEL O.K.....
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am glad to hear that Sugar is feeling like herself despite this tinge of blood. In regards ***** ***** finding, how to approach this situation does depend on how much we are seeing, how often, what the stool consistency is, and how she is feeling.

If you are just seeing a small volume and she is comfortable with normal stools, this could just be due to her straining a bit too hard to pass stool, a brewing whipworm infection, or a mild inflammatory colitis. If she were sore with this, then we'd have to be concerned about her anal glands. And if she had loose stool or kept passing blood, we'd then have to consider bacterial colitis, ulcerated rectal polyps, protozoal infections, or some viral diseases (though the viruses tend to lead to lots of blood being passed and our dogs feeling quite poorly).

Therefore, with this all in mind, we can start some supportive care. If she isn't up to date on worming, it'd be ideal to do so now. Otherwise, we can plan to start her on a light diet in case she has a bit of inflammatory colitis. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. As well, we can also add canine probiotics to this to ensure her gut bacteria are at optimum. As well, if she has been straining to pass stools, adding a fiber source (ie spoonful of canned pumpkin) can help there. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, this does raise a few concerns we need to monitor for Sugar. If it has only been a small amount passed, we can use the above while we keep an eye. Of course, if this lingers, we'd want to have a check up +/- a stools sample tested to rule out those other concerns and nip any found in the bud.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )