Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a Toy Australian Shepherd & about 2 hours ago, she

Customer Question

I have a Toy Australian Shepherd & about 2 hours ago, she started trying to squat to urinate multiple times and can only do a few drops...she keeps trying to go but can't. It is 9:00 PM here & all Vets are closed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sharon,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Sharon

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

In a dog of Cricket's age group I would say that from the symptoms you describe what you are dealing with is most likely a urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis.

The signs of a UTI which is a bladder infection in the dog would be some or all of the following :

1. Increased frequency of urination, this is typical they could be doing this every fifteen minutes in severe cases.

2. Discomfort or problems passing urine .

3. The urine may be blood tinged or discoloured.

UTIs are common in the female dog and they usually respond well to a course of antibiotics. While this is very uncomfortable for Cricket this sort of disease is rarely a serious sort of situation so she should be OK to wait until your vet opens tomorrow.

In the meantime it would be good to encourage Cricket to drink as much as possible, say by giving her very dilute milk ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again sharon,

I am just checking back in to see how Cricket is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect UTI ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cricket. How is everything going?
Vet_Answers