Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have an 8 yr old miniature schnauzer who has been

Customer Question
diagnosed with diabetes mellitus. She...
I have an 8 yr old miniature schnauzer who has been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus. She has been on insulin for approximately two years and usually does well. Recently the insulin brand was changed and she seemed to not respond as well (increased urination), Now she is on Humulin N U100 BID and doing great Usually I have a ritual that I get the insulin out before she eats so that I do not forget. Today I have been over the top busy and after she ate I thought did I give her insulin? I don't remember getting it out, So I just drew up 14 U (she weighs about 22#) and I am afraid to give it in case I already did. I am 99% sure I did not Q what would happen if I skipped her insulin tonight or what to look for if I give it and she already had it. ??? thank you I feel like a nerd asking this and not being sure.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/31/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm going to say that in situations like this, it is way more safe to "assume" she got the dose and not give her any more here tonight. Worst case scenario if she didn't get that dose and she misses it here tonight is that her glucose levels are high for 12 hours. This is way more safe than "assuming" she didn't get it when she did and then giving her more on top of that. This is when hypoglycemia can happen and this is way more of an emergency than being high. If you think back to when she was first diagnosed, she was high for many, many days - most diabetics are high for weeks to months before they are diagnosed. So if she is high for 12 hours, this isn't that bad.

Hi Donna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lily. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian