Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog is between 12 and 13 yrs old. She is a yorkipoo. Was

Customer Question
to the vet last Thursday...
Our dog is between 12 and 13 yrs old. She is a yorkipoo. Was to the vet last Thursday for a swelling under her tongue. Vet said it is probably a ranula. She had a pot belly and he said she probably has liver problems. Came to find the next day she had worms in her stool...tapeworms. Vet said she had a heart murmur and if antibiotic did not clear ranula she would most likely not survive the surgery to correct this. This was the first time he had seen her, and did not diagnostic tests.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She had a tapeworm, and I am wondering if that was why her belly was distended. She was started on Keflex BID for 7 days. Was this the best antibiotic that could have been prescibed?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with our question.

If your veterinarian was able to get a good look (and maybe feel) at the swelling under the tongue he was probably able to make a pretty good educated guess about what it was based on his experience and without any tests. And I think trying the antibiotics and then pursuing something more aggressive if it doesn't go away was the right coarse of treatment. I probably would have chosen an antibiotic that targets the type of bacteria in the mouth better than keflex... such as clavamox, but it wasn't a terrible choice.

As far as her abdomen goes... this is a problem that I do think warrants some diagnostic. Tapeworms are usually pretty benign in dogs and, unless they have such a severe parasite infection that it causes them to have low proteins, I wouldn't expect it to cause a distended abdomen. There are a number of things that can cause an older dogs abdomen to be distended, but an enlarged liver is one of the most common. There is a hormone imbalance called 'Cushings' that is the most common cause of this. Blood work and some specialized testing is needed to diagnose this condition. I do think doing some tests is needed. I don't know if the veterinarian didn't do this because he felt you weren't interested in pursuing it or what? But I would definitely ask for it when you have the tongue rechecked.

I hope that helps, but if you have additional questions please let me know. If not, please rate my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Our dog is eating, drinking, running, playing just as she usually would. Would it be a good idea to continue with the antibiotics longer or try another one. The mass has gotten smaller, probably by half, but you can see that the infection remains. Since she is not having problems respiratory or eating wise I'm wondering if a longer course of treatment or a different antibiotic would be helpful. Her Keflex is 250mg bid and she only has 1 more pill left.
If there is obviously infection left then it is probably worth trying a course of Clavamox. However I have seen some dogs form tabulated under the tongue that never go away completely. Usually this is because they play with and chew on their tongue when they are anxious and they never stop doing it completely.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is still acting her usual. Mass is still present but continuing to get a little smaller. Thanks!
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian