Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I dropped a methocarbamol 500mg tablet and cn't find it. The

Customer Question
I dropped a...
I dropped a methocarbamol 500mg tablet and cn't find it. The dog (10 lb Yorkie) was no where in sight so I don't think she ate it. I heard it hit something and it probably was th tabl where I had several of them. I read the nary about a smaller dose with a larger dog but would like to know about this weight and dosage.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I dropped a methocarbamol 500mg tablet and cn't find it. The dog (10 lb Yorkie) was no where in sight so I don't think she ate it. I heard it hit something and it probably was th tabl where I had several of them. I read the nary about a smaller dose with a larger dog but would like to know about this weight and dosage.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

If you 10 pound dog were to have ingested a dose of 500 mg of methocarbamol, it would be about 5 times the dose that would be used for muscle relaxation secondary to spinal pain. That being said, it still be within the labeled dosage range for use of this drug in dogs when treating muscle rigidity disorders such as tetanus, so it is not necessarily a toxic dose. Being that her muscles are not rigid however, she may experience extreme side effects if she ingested this dose. These would include extreme sedation and weakness, as well as vomiting, and salivation. If she begins to show any of these symptoms, I would recommend immediate veterinary intervention for supportive care.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you so much for the information. While I don't think she ingested it it's good to know that it won't be lethal if she did. We, of course, will watch her closely and respond as appropriate. Thank you very much.

You are very welcome and I hope everything turns out fine.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Z
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian