Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is15 years old her back legs drop and wobble she has

Customer Question
little control of her bowels...
my dog is15 years old her back legs drop and wobble she has little control of her bowels. but seams healthy otherwise
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Chuey has arthritis in his hips or in his vertebrae in his back that is causing this. This will interfere with the nerve supply to the rectal sphincter which causes bowel incontinence. It also causes the back legs to drop. This is not curaable but medications will help decrease the inflammation that may be placing pressure on the nerve supply and release these nerves. Start with aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs and a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin available at the pet store. This will add lubrication to Chueys joints and decrease this inflammation.

Have your vet examine your sweet Chuey since they can prescribe stronger medications to help him past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you I put her on motron it seems to help her move better
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you I put her on motron it seems to help

I would strongly discourage you from using Motrim since it can be toxic to dogs...aspirin is the only safe over the counter anti inflammatory medication that will help Chuey.

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian