Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What can I do dog that constantly scratches? My pug is

Customer Question
What can I do for...
What can I do for my dog that constantly scratches? My pug is costing me a fortune
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Curlee. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I do not want to recommend anything that you have already tried. What medications have you tried: Steroids (prednisone), Atopica (cyclosporine), or Apoquel? Are the allergy shots steroids, or hyposensitization shots?

I know it is frustrating but itching/allergy has no cure yet. There are many things that help: medication, supplements, diets, but nothing to totally stop the itching. What works for one dog does not help the next one, so each case of itching is a challenge.

If you have not tried Apoquel, I would. It is the newest allergy medication and in about 80% of dogs it works amazingly well: no itching, and no side effects. I start a dog on just 5 days of of medication and if it is going to work you know it by then. If it works, then I continue giving it twice a day for awhile, then once a day, and sometimes even less often. It is a prescription medication so you can only get it from a veterinarian who has seen and examined her.

Supplements that help some but not all dogs are probiotics (beneficial bacteria supplements), fish oil, quercetin, nettles, and anti oxidants. These are available without prescription.

Oatmeal shampoos can be helpful with the itching. Grain free food is not a hypoallergenic diet as most food allergies are to a meat protein, so a limited ingredient diet, or a hydrolized protein diet may be more helpful if her problem is food allergy.

Let me know what you have tried and if I can answer any more of your questions. Rebecca

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian