Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My name is ***** *****. 2 1/2 weeks ago we lost one of our

Customer Question
Hi my name is *****...
Hi my name is ***** *****. 2 1/2 weeks ago we lost one of our dogs and our other 2 were clearly lost and stressed by her death. Suri our 5 yr old boxer and 1 1/2 year old pit mix. But then one day they were back to normal for the most part but suri looked like she got thicker and was having diarrhea. Well Saturday we got a new pup suri and pup get along OK deacon the pit mix wanted nothing to do with her for the first day second day would play with her but was very cautious and neither suri or deacon really didn't eat much of their food. Puppy is a pig, iput a big rock in her bowl to slow her eating. Other dogs watch her eat and don't eat their food then she proceeds to their bowls but I stop her and put them up. When puppy was sleeping I set them down and the dogs picked at their food a little. Today still no eating and both of them were puking this morning a few times white and yellow slim. I have food back down now and they both went in and took a few bites and that's all. Is this all just nerves
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's pretty much it. Suri the boxer seems to be drooling today also
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

First, I am very sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is to lose a beloved pet. I would be suspicious that both dogs are having stress enteritis or an upset stomach from the changes in the household. I can give basic guidelines but if there is no change in the next 24 hours please consider a veterinary exam and fecal evaluation to ensure the puppy didn't bring anything into the home that is making the other two ill...

- Increase exercise, 30+ minute leash walks 1-2 times daily to increase hunger and allow the mind to move forward from the loss they have had the past few weeks

- White rice and lean boiled meat such chicken in small frequent meals to entice the appetite but yet be bland for the stomach as well. As they show interest in their food then you can increase the quantity while reducing the frequency of the meals
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours to help settle their stomachs. If you have omeprazole that is also an option for settling the stomach at 0.5 mg/ pound daily
- Canned pumpkin 1 tbsp twice daily can also help firm up stools

If there is any blood or mucus in the stools as well please consider a veterinary exam sooner rather than later to ensure that we treat more aggressively for these symptoms. In addition, monitor for signs of nausea which it sounds like one of your dogs is already showing (licking lips, increased salivation, eating grass) as well. I would not advise feeding your Suri until the increased salivation subsides because often it will result in further vomiting

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope your pets is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well I just added some chicken to their bowls and they are, so ll see if they keep it down. What could have the puppy brought home to get the other dogs sick? They both are up to date on all vaccines.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are their food with chicken

There are a myriad of conditions a puppy can bring home including coccidia, giardia as the first two primary. But please only small frequent meals and I would limit the food to administer to Suri since he is already showing signs of nausea

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thanksi

You are very welcome and best of luck to you and your kids

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I am online another 30 minutes this evening if I can be of any further assistance to you both tonight...

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian