Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Gsp shaking and trembling.

Customer Question
Gsp shaking and trembling.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 3 days. He has been to the vet and had a blood test. And a physical. Vet said no sign of addison diseease but still cant rule it out he has less of an appitite but still eating and drinking sometimes he seem ok with more energy but sometimes none. Vet gave him tramadol to try for a few days but not really helping. This came on suddenly

1- Is he trembling and shaking like if he was cold?

2- I will assume the vet took his rectal temperature, correct?

4- Besides the trembline any other symptoms?

5- Is he walking any different?

6- How much does he weigh?

7- How many milligrams of Tramadol are you giving and how often?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its 50mg and its every 8 to 12 hours. The vet checked all that and said everything was fine. Thats why she thought it was from pain. I dont know if its the tramadol but he has no energy and is very tired. He wont drink water and his nose is dry and kind of runny but not really. He doesnt get exited about going outside. Hes just really tired. He only shakes when he is laying down but not shaking right now. I think the tramadol does help it a little but theres gotta be something else wrong with him

1- How much does he weigh?

2- Did your vet take xrays?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No xrays. And he is 53 pounds.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I agree with your vet about the possibility of being in pain. It is possible this could be related to neuromuscular pain like a pinch nerve or pulled muscle along the back. I would recommend you discuss with your vet about doing xrays. In addition, he is currently on a very conservative dose of Tramadol, I would discuss with your vet about increasing the Tramadol to at least 4mg/kg every 8 hours which that would put him on 100mg every 8 hours. Plus, add an anti inflammatory medication like Rimadyl.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its not like he shaking all the time. When he is up and moving he seems ok. But when he lays down and trys to sleep its like a twitching like he cant controll it. Its quick and i believe its involuntary. He will sit and shake. He will not drink any water
Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to her that your pup has been having this mystery symptom. I think that Dr. Peter had some really good suggestions there that you should definitely discuss with your veterinarian. Sometimes dogs that are having pain will have a twitching or jerking type of motion when they are at rest. Another consideration would be that this is a low grade neurologic issue like a nerve injury or a partial seizure disorder. It would help your vet quite a bit if you could get some video of what you're seeing so that she could review it - this would help her narrow down the list of potential causes. If your vet feels that it's a neurologic issue, then she's likely to suggest either a referral to a neurologist for more specific neurologic testing or a trial of some anti-seizure medication to see if that helps.

Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is sleeping right now. I have not seen him twitch or shiver so far in the last 3 hours. I was going to give him another pill of tramadol at 10pm tonight. So he can sleep through the night hopefully. I just dont understand how this could just come upon him with no other prior symptoms. He has never had any problems before. He is a hunting dog and extremly smart and he hunts and points birds very well for his age. He has a very stellar bloodline. This is very confusing to me.

It is certainly perplexing when they suddenly come up with health issues - no more or less so than when we become ill. Sometimes you can pinpoint an injury, but most times we are left scratching our heads. If you think that the tramadol is helping, then it sounds like your vet is on the right track. Unfortunately since they can't tell us plainly what's happening, vets have to use their experience and intuition more. Keep your vet in the loop, especially if you feel like things aren't improving.

~Dr. Sara

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The tramadol isnt helping the twitching. Its been 2 days on it now. There is something else wrong

As I mentioned, there could also be a neurologic issue like a pinched nerve or low grade seizure disorder. I would suggest capturing a video of what you're seeing for your veterinarian to review. If they feel like it might be neurologic, they may suggest seeking input from a neurologist. In any case, if what your vet is doing isn't helping, they need to know so that they can adjust their tactics.

~Dr. Sara

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there something i can do till i talk to the vet tomorrow. He hasnt really drank any water for 2 days. And has only ate about half of what he usually does. If its a pinched nerve? In his brain. How do they fix that

Unfortunately I can't tell you what's wrong with him - there's no way for me to know without seeing what you're seeing and being able to do a physical exam. You can try syringe feeding or using a dropper to get some liquid into him for the night. If he's quite ill you could consider taking him to an ER for an urgent visit - you'll have to use your judgement based on how he's looking at the moment

~Dr. Sara

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian